The History of Our lovely building.
The Heritage Centre is housed in the old Parish Rooms.
It was built in 1890 by Benjamin Cooke, a miller in the town, for the grand sum of £400. It was equipped for £60 and then donated to the church. It opened on 1st October 1890.
The building has had many uses ranging from wedding receptions, children's parties, a temporary library and as a meeting room for the church choir and for the WI. Local residents recall the choir sitting around an organ with a stove for warmth. Refreshments for meetings were often prepared on a gas stove ... One resident vividly recalls the vicar lifting him through the window to unlock the door from the inside to assist a group who had been locked out!
Latterly the building was used as storage and was subsequently somewhat neglected.
Alan Quinn and Aylsham Community Partnerships suggested that the building could be used as a heritage centre for the town and after a period of research and investigation, Matthew Thomas was appointed as architect in 2007.
Thanks to funding from a variety of sources, external work was understaken by N.F COverdale of cawston. Once usesable, funding was gained from Biffaward, HLF, Geoffry Watling Charity and Town Close Trust, and Jayne Andrew was appointed as Learning Officer to run the centre.
The centre opened to the public in July 2011.